Friday, October 15, 2004

Welcome to "Darn Floor"

It's actually taken me a week to come up with a name for this blog. I've been wanting to hop into the blogosphere all summer, and did make a brief attempt back in August. But life being what it is when you have a ten-month-old, I wasn't finding the time to write.

So, . . . Take 2, which is actually a week overdue. And it's all Hugh Hewitt's fault. Him and his symposium. When I read last week's symposium question I knew I wanted in. I'd recently written a brief piece on the same topic, and it needed work, but I wanted to polish it up and post it.

I also wanted a new blog, separate from the group blog I started earlier this summer. I even had the perfect name for my new blog, . . .

. . . and then I found out the name was already taken. So I was delayed, because I knew that whatever name I chose, I'd be stuck with it. So I'm stuck with "Darn Floor." and as far as I know, it hasn't been taken. Let's hope I don't regret this name later.

After reading today's symposium question, I thought I'd give it another go.

Back in 1997, I wrote a daily column for my web journal. I think I had about a dozen regular readers. I did that for almost a year, and there were times when I really had to force myself to write, but I think it was a good discipline.

Inspired by some of my favorite blogs (which I'll eventually try to list on this page) I aim to do that again. Certainly for the discipline of it, but also because I think working to get one's thoughts down in a coherent manner is a valuable skill, and one that must be worked at.

Sorry if that sounds all lofty. I'm not even sure if I'm buying it myself. Part of me suspects I'm just a gloryhound trying to jump on the latest bandwagon.

Time will tell.

Meanwhile, it's Friday--a good time to start a blog. That is, if you're a parent with a ten-month-old and there's not a chance you'll be going out to dinner and a movie anytime soon.

(Unless someone wants to babysit. Hewitt?)

Oh, so . . . why "Darn Floor"? I'll get into it . . . eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home