Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Why I must shop at Target

Hugh Hewitt has been leading the charge to boycott Target stores for barring Salvation Army bellringers from setting up outside their doors. Other bloggers have joined the cause, and now there's even a website where you can sign an online petition if you're the petition-signin' type.

Before I got married, I did my "super-store" shopping almost exclusively at Target. My wife, however, was a Wal-Mart shopper. (This is what's known as a mixed marriage, I believe.) Because of her seductive influence, I have now conceded defeat and shop Wal-Mart with her. But I've never really liked Wal-Mart. The parking lot is always crowded (and ours, in particular, is a nightmare of parking-lot design), the store is always crowded, the aisles are far too narrow, and, . . . well, . . . Wal-Mart's store decor offends my aesthetic sensibilities. (I'd suspect bad feng shui if I was into that sort of thing.)

When I'm shopping alone, I backslide and go to Target, and I will probably continue these clandestine activities. But now I'm sneakin' around on my wife and half the blogosphere.

While I disagree with Target's decision, I'm afraid that I cannot boycott Target completely.

And here's why.

I've searched all over Our Fair City, and Target is the only place I've found that sells Ginger Altoids. So I'll keep shopping in secret. Sorry Salvation Army. I'll stuff a few extra bucks in the Red Bucket when we go to Wal-Mart, but Ginger Altoids are my crack and Target is my dealer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home