Monday, January 10, 2005

Is "24" a Red State show?

Cam Edwards is wondering if 24 is going "Red State"

Just finished watching the season premiere of 24 and I can't help but wonder if I've just seen a "red state" drama.

Without giving too much away, the hero of the series, Jack Bauer, is now working for a Republican administration. So far, there's no out and out creepiness on the part of the GOP officials (although we're only two hours into the show).

The big moment for me came in the first hour of the program, when the Secretary of Defense, in a conversation with his A.N.S.W.E.R.-lovin' son says "don't give me any of that Michael Moore 6th grade logic."


Sean Hackbarth argues that 24 was never "Red State."

Sure, President Palmer was a Democrat, but he was a get-tough, Joe Lieberman kind of Democrat. Howard Dean, M.D. he wasn't. In all three previous seasons Jack Bauer acted in ways that would make your typical blue stater march in protest in the streets.

I'm not a good judge. I actually recorded all of the first and second seasons and almost the entire third season as well, but so far I've only watched the first 12 hours of the first season. I find the violence more than a little off-putting. Even so, I'll probably watch the rest of the first season because I'm curious to know how it turns out. Not sure if I'll watch the rest because there are only so many hours I want to spend in front of the television, and there are many other shows I'd rather watch.

All I know is that the very idea that 24 is a "Red State" program would probably make Frank Rich very, very blue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home