Saturday, October 16, 2004

Dr. Reverend Johnny Edwards Miracle Faith Telethon of Love

I just got a robo-call from Congressman Ron Kind alerting me to an appearance by Faith Healer and Vice Presidential candidate Johnny Edwards in Our Fair City next week. So I followed the instructions in the call, got my ticket, and I think I actually might go. I've already seen the President at a stopover here earlier this summer; might as well check out the opposition.

When I'd heard the news that Christopher Reeve had died, I wondered aloud whether the Democrats would use his death for political purposes, but I didn't really think they'd stoop that low. My mistake for thinking they had class.

But that very same day, Dr. Reverend Johnny Edwards stooped as low as I've seen them stoop yet. Speaking in Iowa, Senator Edwards said:
"If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."
Now, I'm not sure if he was simply promising to cure paralysis or promising to raise the dead. Either way he's raising false hopes in promising a miracle cure if only we allow federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.* Apparently, in order for the Edwards miracle to work it has to be federally funded. Private funding will cause the miracle to fail, but tax money is necessary for the miracle cure.

Yeah, I think I'd like to see this guy in person. He's the next best thing to Robert Tilton.

-------------------

* Adult stem cells work just fine; embryonic stem cells haven't done a thing. Nevertheless, Dr. Reverend Johnny Edwards seems to believe that we must create and destroy life in order for the miracle to work. Tell me how this is dissimilar to the ancient practices of sacrificing human lives in order to appease the gods?



UPDATE: Charles Krauthammer sounds really pissed off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home