Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Add these guys to your blogroll today!

Yes, "Football Fans and Beyond" is a great blog, and I'm not just saying that because they linked to me (although that helps).

Here's what jumped out at me.

While the rest of the blogosphere is doing all the usual sorts of "2004 in review" posts, focusing on top news stories, top media meltdowns, top crazy liberals, etc. -- FFAB is giving us some very unique "year in review" items, such as:

2004's Top Ten Retarded Statements by Oliver Stone

2004's Top Ten Ass-Kickings Given by Christopher Hitchens

2004's Top Ten Celebrity Freakouts over George Bush

Now that's the unique sort of content I like to see on my blogs -- the sort of stuff that makes me say "I wish I'd written that."

And I still think that this is one of the most interesting tsunami-related news items I've come across.

Two days after the tsunami, I observed that Bangladesh citizens had to be scratching their heads wondering how the hell they'd lucked out. I have since that time been been occasionally mocked for my observations about Bangladesh's great escape.

But most people, once they start thinking about it, agree that it's really kind of weird. How had this country, aka Ground Zero for natural disasters, a country who all by itself lost 138,000 in a single flooding incident 13 years ago, somehow failed to contribute significantly to the tsunami victim count? The country is directly in the wave's path. It is almost entirely at sea level. And yet, only two children died when they fell off a tour boat capsized by a wave.


So I am entertained and educated, and a better person all around for visiting Football Fans and Beyond. I'm adding them to my blogroll tonight, and so should you.

Here endeth the lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home