Monday, February 21, 2005

American Idol . . . as if I cared

I'm not a huge fan of American Idol, but if it's on when I'm in the vicinity of a television, I'll tune in. This evening, for example, I happened to have positioned myself on the couch with a sleepy toddler on my lap, and . . . American Idol was on. (That's my excuse.)

I enjoy a good vocal performance. Most of these people bore me, though. They all sing the same kinds of songs, and they sing them the same way. They try to outdo each other with vocal gymnastics, which to me sounds like they're just having difficulty finding the proper pitch.

So when someone different shows up on stage, it's refreshing. And if I cared enough to call in a vote tonight -- and I don't -- I'd vote for Bo Bice. The boy can sing, and he eschews the whole boy-band vibe. Which means he hasn't got a chance, even though I think he was the only one who actually stayed on pitch this evening.

And I can't believe I actually wasted bandwidth commenting on American Idol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home