Tuesday, February 15, 2005

But is it really "glaringly obvious to all"?

I also agree with Lileks:

Asked if Easongate was over, I thought it was, possibly because . . . what else can be done to the man? Send nasty mails to the Waterloo, IA TV station that hires him to revamp thier high school sports coverage? . . . But then I did think of something else I'm sure is glaringly obvious to all. I think the Eason Jordon case is less important than the Dan Rather case, for obvious reasons. But it seems to have produced the same amount of enthusiasm. At some point this amount of glee is going to be applied towards someone who might actually turn out to be innocent. What then? Well, it'll kill the credibilty of those who led the charge, and help the reps of those who turn it away. It'll be a big self-correcting moment, but the self-correcting won't be the story; the story will be the mistake. Ah HAH!

Of course, Lileks gets perfectly Lileks-y at this point:

And so forth, until open war is declared and the New York Times deploys its hunter-killer bots to go back in time and terminate the guy who invents the WWW. I'm beginning to think they would if they could.

Now that would be a movie script!

(Hat tip What Attitude Problem?)

3 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

I think the thing that's important on this story, is that no one from the MSM was reporting on it and yet the blogosphere raised the awareness until it became an issue and then a story.

We have to remember that as much "power" as bloggers think we have, there is still a whole segment of the population that haven't really been turned on to it - and thus had no idea this was even going on. I talk to people all the time and when I say I have a blog, they say, "huh."

The Dan Rather story was all over the MSM. So, the full glory of blogdom has yet to be exploited - but I think we'll see more Eason Jordon type incidents...which is exciting. Accountability to the MSM -what a concept.

As far as accountability for us - we are under the same glass as they are. We are all equal in that regards.

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... you're not really under the same glass as the MSM. I've noticed that most bloggers don't have their real or full names on their blogs. You can't really be accountable for your actions/words if you're simply "sal from Virginia" or "Drew from Wisconsin." Eason Jordan had a hell of a lot more to lose than you do. If your blog is discredited, your life will change very little, and you can always start another blog under another alias.

For all I know, "sal from Virginia" and "Drew from Wisconsin" could be the same person. In fact, that's what I'll assume from now on.

Sincerely,
Batman

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Shelly said...

Batman -

The level of backlash is effectively equivalent to the level of responsibility. Eason Jordon runs or I should say ran one of the world's largest news agencies. I think he might have a greater influence than I do with my little 12 reader blog. So therefore, the retributions of his actions are significantly different. But, if I posted something very controversial, don't believe for a second that I wouldn't get slammed to high heaven even beyond those 12 readers - because people will come out of the woodwork to stand up for what they believe in a controversial situation. There are people who have lost their jobs over blogging as well.

Have a wonderful day!
Sal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home