Monday, February 07, 2005

No such thing as bad publicity?

I saw very little of the Superbowl yesterday. If the Packers aren't playing, I just can't find myself caring much about who wins. We were at a Superbowl party for the first half of the game and enjoyed the fellowship, but I only looked at the television during the ads. Sadly, the only ad I remember was the awful "GoDaddy.com" one, and I only remembered it because I thought it was low and crass. In that sense, I guess the ad worked. And there's the problem with advertising right there. You can get just as much value from a memorably awful ad as you can from a memorably good ad -- perhaps even more. But what you gain in terms of name recognition, you probably lose in respectability.

I mentioned the Harbor City Brewery ad last week that read "You'll want to puke just to taste it again." Disgusting. I remembered it, though. As the saying goes, you only get one chance to make a good first impression. Millions of people who'd never heard of "GoDaddy.com" just received their first impression, and it was of a large-breasted woman falling out of her tiny shirt. So this is how I remember "GoDaddy.com". Will I employ their services? I can't even remember what those services were, but the ad makes me think it might possibly be illegal in every state except in Nevada.

I have no doubt that their website suddenly got flooded with hits, but how many of those hits were from people looking for more pictures of their spokeswoman?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home