Monday, December 20, 2004

Memory Lane

(Hat tip: Betsy's Page) If the 80s were your formative years, you'll probably get a kick out of this website full of downloadable commercials from the decade of parachute pants and leg-warmers.

For those of you unfamiliar with the era, here's a history lesson:

This was a cutting-edge video game.

These were almost as popular as Cabbage Patch Kids.

This was one of the biggest movie flops of the decade.

This disembodied mouth gave me nightmares.

And pop music was often just as banal as it is today.

It was also the apex of popularity for Chuck E. Cheese, and this commercial might explain why Lileks reacts so strongly to the place. (Smile, America! There's a giant rat making the moves on Mom!)

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Abigail Brayden said...

Chuck E Cheese and Cabbage Patch indeed. I had my 5th birthday party at Chuck E Cheese 20 years ago, where I surely received at least one Strawberry Shortcake doll or pound puppy :) Moreover, I think I could still find one or more of both of them if I hunted around in my basement...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home