Monday, February 21, 2005

And I suppose I'll be rooting for the polytheists

After watching last Friday's episode of Battlestar Galactica (a series I've praised here), I didn't quite know how to react. The Cylon Sex-bot character has talked about God in previous episodes, but never quite so . . . "evangelically" as she did in this latest episode.

I remembered reading on producer Ron Moore's blog that he decided to make the Cylons monotheistic and play up the religion angle to go along with the "Cylons as Al-Qaeda" theme. But he's made the good guys polytheistic and the bad guys monotheistic. Given that my sympathies weigh heavily toward the monotheistic point of view, this is an odd thing to wrap my brain around.

Sandy's got more at the new MAWB Squad blog. She points out that not only are the Cylons monotheistic, but they use the sort of lingo common to Christianity, and detects a hint of the oft-heard refrain that Christian fundamentalists are no different than Islamic jihadists.

Like Sandy, I've grown accustomed to the often negative way Christianity is depicted in science fiction, but this a new twist.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Drew said...

Actually, no. I'm used to having Picard insult my faith by saying things like "we've outgrown the need for a God," or having Q show us the origins of life from a puddle of goo, . . . and I just tell myself it's fiction and let it go.

This may be different, however, because it hits a little closer to home. I wouldn't say that it's "anti-Christian rhetoric," but there is the potential there for it to offend.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you just take a wait and see approach? How exactly do the monothiestic cyclons justify hunting down and destroying every last human?
I bet whatever it is, it is not truly a "christian" Principle.It Seems to be more like a hard-line muslim or medieval inquisitioning catholic point of view to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home