Wednesday, October 20, 2004

A Fanboy Moment

During my lunch hour today I stopped by the business expo put on by the Chamber of Commerce in Our Fair City. Local businesses had booths set up, and I thought maybe I might make a few contacts for my freelance page composition business. I didn't. However, I did get the chance to do something I've been meaning to do all year.

The National Guard had a booth there. Before I could talk myself out of it, I stepped up to the table and shook the hands of the two soldiers manning the booth. "Thank you," I said. "Thank you for your service to this country."

I've been wanting to do that every time I see someone in uniform, but my natural midwestern desire to not draw attention to myself usually prevents it. I have no idea what they thought. I don't know if they get that all the time, or if they never get that at all. But I felt it had to be done.

It was kind of corny, and I felt a bit like a geeky fanboy. There was a brief moment of somewhat uncomfortable silence, and then one of the soldiers said "Do you want to enter the drawing for a $50 Menards Gift Card?"

So I did.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home